Saturday, 29 December 2012

Happy Christmas!

 (left to right: Ru, Zac, Josh & Sam)

It’s certainly been a while since I’ve managed to find the time to update you all on the progress of my four little stars! The last couple of months have been completely taken up by our house move and illness. Not long after we moved the boys came down with a horrible case of gastroenteritis which lasted three weeks and unfortunately only a couple of weeks of having them back to normal they picked up the RSV virus and were admitted to hospital with Bronchiolitis.

Poor little Zac had the longest stay of 14 days while Sammy was in for 11 and Josh and Ru 9. They all had a really tough time during their stay and I was just very glad to see the end of it. They deteriorated quite quickly and I think due to the fact that they were so premature with weak respiratory systems they all ended up being ventilated and on IV drips as they were unable to breathe or feed properly. It was hard seeing them so helpless and poorly! I had flash backs of the difficult time we spent in NICU all those months ago. Luckily we were out three days before our planned trip to Devon for Christmas.  I would have been devastated to have missed such a special event. There were 28 of us in total consisting of family from South Africa, Australia and the Isle of Man. Luke had a ball with his cousins and the boys were spoilt rotten with love and attention. We have just got back and I'm finding it quite hard to get back into the daily routine with just the two of us! I just want to thank my wonderful dad and Bek for the finding such a gorgeous rural house for us all to enjoy and to everyone else for all the amazing food, company and help with the boys. We will remember this Christmas forever.

Aside from all the illness the boys are actually doing really well. They have been seen by their consultant in the last month and she was really happy with their development both mentally and physically. Ru is the big boy of the bunch sitting on the 91st percentile for his corrected age of 7½ months. Josh and Zac are both on the 75th percentile and Sammy is on the 50th which is amazing. Quoting her words, you really wouldn’t know they were premature babies anymore; they have caught up amazingly well. Poor Sammy has had a few feeding issues as he has serve silent reflux so it has meant a bit of a struggle when it came to milk and weaning. He looks like the skinny one of the bunch but I think he’s just going to be the tall skinny one as he is much taller than his brothers. They are all at different stages in their physical development. They are all sitting except for Sammy and Josh is just about on the move. He’s slowly dragging himself across the floor which is quite funny to watch.

We’ve just about settled into our new home. It was quite an operation packing, moving and then unpacking all at the same time as trying to look after the boys and little Luke. It wouldn’t have been possible without all the amazing help from my South African ‘sistas’ (a wonderful group of South African ladies living in Bristol) and friends and family. We now have enough room for everybody, at least for the next couple of years!
 
I can't believe how quickly this year has gone! This time last year I was 20 weeks pregnant, the size of a 9 month singleton mum wondering just how much longer I was going to be able to last as it was starting to get really tough for me. Well look at us now!  Happy Christmas and New Year to you all! I hope you have a very special festive season. 

Here are a few pics from our Christmas in Devon.






4 comments:

  1. Wow. They are doing amazingly well. You're a superstar mummy! My twins are 4 in Jan and this xmas was the best so far. I can only imagine the fun your boys will have when they are this age. It will be priceless for you. I wish I could be a fly on the wall! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about your hospital scare, sounds like they were all very seriously ill. We have been readmitted for rsv a few times but never needing ventilation. I cannot imagine how hard that was ;(

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow ! i have just stumbled across this one of my friends on facebook has been following your blog and i have just read the whole thing start to finish - your AMAZING ! you have so very much to be proud of !

    fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Just stumbled across this! What an amazing year you have had so far! And what lovely boys!!
    I was due to nanny for triplets last year (all identical girls!) but the position fell through. I must admit that boys are more fun!
    Looking forward to reading more about your journey with your boys!

    ReplyDelete